Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Driving with the spare on

Last night I had a dream that I had been driving around for weeks with my spare tire on my car. I'm not sure what prompted me to realized this. I guess it eventually went flat and the original tire was put on again much to my disliking. I was pissed for some reason. I didn't want that tire on my car. Werid. It was a dream. What do you expect?

Anyway, it got me thinking (shocker. I know). How many times in life do we save special things for special time? Do we sometimes live life driving around on a spare tire while there's a perfectly good, new tire collecting dust in the truck?

I know that I save things for special occasions. But how many special candles have melted without being burnt or special outfits been ruined by mothballs without being worn? Why do the coffee cups and saucers sit in the cabinet or fine china sit bubble wrapped and stored away waiting for company? What defines special? What are we waiting for?

It's hard to imagine having no tomorrow. It's hard to think that you might not get another chance or have another day to use these specially reserved things. But while you're waiting for an “important enough” occasion to come around, the joy of everyday life passes as well. One hundred small moments might not equal the importance and impact of a single solitary momentous occasion, but even one small moment a day can make that day better.

Because in the end, china is just a plate and holly-shaped leaf candles are just wax. Replaceable. Material. Unimportant. What is important is treating each moment, though small, as a chance to be grateful. As a chance to celebrate.

No comments: