Thursday, April 09, 2009

Awkward or Authored

So I'm a writer (note: I didn't say editor. We'll go into the difference later). Words have come pretty easily to me my whole life. I admit that I take it for granted. I do. Lately I have realized it is a gift that not all people have. Granted, I don't ALWAYS know what to say or how to say it but usually, given some thought I can come up with something worthwhile.

Not everyone can do this. Which is why the angry dude on the Today Show this morning pissed me off. Apparently, Hallmark has come out with a new line of cards that address very specific and somewhat tragic situations (i.e. cancer, miscarriages, divorce, etc.). Angry dude got snippy on this poor woman from Hallmark who supported the cards. In her eyes, they gave people, who didn't know what to say, an avenue to express their sympathy and care.

Captain sunshine rallied back saying that if you can't come up with the words yourself, then awkward and broken sentiments are better than a canned card from a stranger.

Now we're not debating whether the cards are appropriate or not. But even as a writer, Hallmark has saved my ass a time or two. We've all experienced how exhausting it is to sit down and stare at a blank card. You feel like you'll be there for days because the right words will never come.

I mean, those card writers are some deep folks. (I've always secretly wanted to be one.) They've got some good, valuable, appropriate and insightful things to say. And sure, they might not be talking about your situation specifically, but their vague sentiments are usually enough to get the juices of our own creativeness flowing.

No one ever questions the president for having a speech writer or a PR twisted celebrity who says the absolutely right thing at the absolutely right time because he's been coached. "Canned" cards are the poor mans version of having a snappy, quirky and/or insanely sentimental writer on retainer. Canned doesn't mean it isn't meaningful. You are taking the time to buy the damn card...aren't you?

I would rather have a lovely "canned" card from Hallmark, than an ill conceived awkward salutation that's going to make both of us (giver and receiver) uncomfortable. (Unless that's your thing. Then I, of course, would applaud the effort.) Not everyone has the words to express what they're thinking or feeling. Sometimes a little bit of professional help at the bargin price of $3.75 is just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: