Friday, October 10, 2008

The ongoing list of uncompromiseables...

#3: Compassion

To have compassion, a person must step outside of themselves and try to understand where another person is coming from. It's hard. Not everyone can put aside their judgments and preconceived ideas and really try to not only "get" another person, but then have sympathy for them. True compassion is then trying to help make them feel better. Again, it's hard.

Sometimes I feel selfish. I think, why should I care if someone else is hurting? Would they care? Would they try to help me if I was hurting? Usually the answer is yes. Yes they would. Because people are good. And good people care about other people. Although we all go through phases of selfishness and indifference to those around us, inherently we are good.

Compassion is a tough one. It takes work. It's also something you don't acquire one day. But it is something you can eventually arrive at.

No comments: